[ITK-users] ITK Noise removal filter on VTK file
Matt McCormick
2018-02-12 12:27:32 UTC
Hi Majid,

For the best DICOM image compatibility, use itk::DCMTKImageIO:

https://github.com/InsightSoftwareConsortium/ITK/blob/8a2a15f41218c925c0a89119e09419d48f83eb22/Modules/IO/DCMTK/test/itkDCMTKSeriesReadImageWrite.cxx

This also supports reading in the DICOM image orientation into the
itk::Image. This information is not retained in vtkImageData.

Writing the image to disk can be avoided with ITKVtkGlue:

https://itk.org/ITKExamples/src/Bridge/VtkGlue/ConvertAnitkImageTovtkImageData/Documentation.html

but again, be aware of the loss of the Direction information.

Both ITK and VTK support image volumes written in MetaImage, NRRD, or
VTK Legacy file format.

A state-of-the-art edge preserving filter is the anisotropic diffusion
lattice basis reduction filter in ITK. For more information, see the
Insight Journal article:

http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/953

and instructions on how to install the Python package or enable its
module in ITK's build here:

https://github.com/InsightSoftwareConsortium/ITKAnisotropicDiffusionLBR

Hope this helps,
Matt

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 6:41 AM, Majid M. Sadeghi via Insight-users
Dear All,
I am using a vtkGDCMImageReader to import 3D DICOM images. Then I adjust the
spacing and reslice. After that I can save it as both image
data|(vtkXMLImageDataWriter) or polydata(vtkImageDataGeometryFilter).
I want to apply edge preserving noise removal to the data either just after
reading images, or after saving as .vtp files.
I have setup ITK and scanned the ITK book, but I have no experience on it.
Is there any link or example which can guide me on how to perform this?
(what type of structure is common between ITK and VTK? Should I perform the
filter after saving in VTK or before that? which filter do you suggest for
the best speed and perfomance?)
Thanks a lot.
The ITK community is transitioning from this mailing list to
discourse.itk.org. Please join us there!